I, Frankenstein

STARRING: Aaron Eckhart, Bill Nighy, Miranda Otto
YEAR: 2014
RUN TIME: 1hr, 32mins
MY RATING: 2/10



Wow. There are only two reasons why a movie review would start with that word. It was either mind blowingly good or mind numbingly bad. I'm sure my 2/10 rating hints at to which my wow is referring. Now I was obnoxiously full from having just shoveled a large portion of pasta right before my showing of I, Frankenstein. So that could be the reason I found myself trying to hold my head up and at least one eye open just like my puppy does just incase something interesting happens. The fact that I'm beginning with details of my Carbonara coma should suggest how little this film did for me.

This isn't technically a horror movie but, there are some horror elements especially since this was actually green lit and released. I will not spend this whole review bashing this film since that's not my style but, instead fill you in on why I didn't enjoy it. To give you an idea of the story it starts taking place 200 years ago and Dr. Frankenstein's creation is exacting revenge on him for trying to get rid of the monster and the Dr. dies from bad weather conditions. While the monster is burying his creator he is attacked by a group of demons and saved by a pair of gargoyles. Hopefully, you are still with me here. Flash to the present or maybe the future? It's not made clear. demon Prince, Naberius is now hunting the creature who was actually given the name Adam from the gargoyle Queen so I will call him that.

If stabbed by a gargoyle or Adam the demons are descended back to hell. Naberius is trying to create a demon army to kill off the gargoyles and eventually mankind but, needs the recipe (if you will) to creating a soulless creature like Adam in order to reanimate his large collection of corpses. Dr.Terra Wade is a scientist working for the demon Prince unbeknownst to her and is trying to find a way to reanimate lab rats.

I, Frankenstein's main story takes place in the span of about a day and has a lot of story forced into it's hour and 30 minute run time. This film felt very rushed to me. In a day Adam meets Terra, kidnaps her to create him a mate but, eventually falls for her and gains a soul. Yes, movies tend portray falling in love to happen in lightening speed and I have come to accept this unrealistic concept. However, when two characters in question have zero chemistry and establish absolutely no romantic connection it's completely ridiculous for the writers to expect me to suspend my belief that much. I'm sorry but, I just can't. The action sequences were mildly entertaining just not enough to get me 100% interested not to mention CGI ridden.

The acting was probably the only good part and of course Bill Nighy did a great job playing villain as usual but, I much prefer him in other roles such as Davy Jones in Pirates and Philip in Shaun of the Dead. Aaron Eckhart did a good job although some of his facial expressions were a bit off and that could've been a character trait since he was not human. Miranda Otto was once again type cast as some form of royalty and it's because, she plays that type of role well.

I do not recommend I, Frankenstein unless you have seen all of the movies available that interest you and feel like sitting through a movie. Luckily, it isn't very long so I didn't have to hope for the credits to roll for too much of the film. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen but, it's definitely not my cup of tea.

Until next time horror fans, You stay classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment