Evil Dead

STARRING: Jane Levy,Shiloh Hernadez,Lou Taylor Pucci,Jessica Lucas,Elizabeth Blackmore
RUN TIME: 1hr,31 mins
YEAR:2013
MY RATING: 8.5/10

 Evil Dead is the story of Mia, a struggling drug addict who is trying to get clean with the help of her brother David and their friends Eric,Olivia, and Natalie. Their plan is to keep her in a remote cabin so they can keep an eye on her while she detoxes. Little do they know they're all in waaaaay over their heads with the demonic chaos they're all about to endure. Evil Dead is one of
the few actually decent remakes made in the last decade. The film starts off pretty solid but, as the film progresses it becomes more and more intense. It all starts with them discovering the Book of the Dead and thanks to a certain someone reading from it [*cough cough* Eric], then summons a dark demonic force that takes over Mia and actualy attacks her in the woods giving us the cringe worthy tree rape scene, mind you in this case, I'm using cringe worthy a good way. Jane Levy's facial expressions really sell this scene but, I'll get to her in a minute. The deadites are awesome looking and physically threatening to our characters I won't go too far into detail here as to avoid spoilers but, I will say one scene does involve a character removing a needle from right below their eye after an encounter with a stab-crazy deadite. Bitches be crazy! But, I digress. They are completely different looking from the deadites original but, they're great in their own way. The thing that impressed me most about this film were the effects. I am hugely into special fx makeup and there are very little films nowadays that actually use practical effects as opposed to the cheesiness that is known as CGI and Evil Dead uses practical effects beautifully and I so appreciated this. While I wasn't as shocked as they hyped me into thinking I was going to be by the gore [kudos marketing department!] in this film, I was still very much impressed by the effects. Especially them managing to make the gorgeous Jessica Lucas look gross, crazy and creepy as they did was enough to dub me a fan. The best part of this film to me though has got to be Jane Levy hands down! That girl can definitely act her ass off. She made me feel everything Mia was going through. The pain, the emotion everything was on point and her ear piercing scream? Shrieking amazing! [coined it!] And Deadite Mia was pretty badass Jane did an awesome job and the effects made her suuuper creepy but, I do wish they would've used her in more scenes the trailers really deceived me into thinking she had a lot more scenes to steal. I did enjoy her taunting the other characters into self mutilation [turkey carver to the arm scene anyone?!] There were few jump scares, the scares were more in your face rather than sneaking up on you during a quiet scene which I was fine with seeing as I am not a fan of jump scares. I was however a little dissapointed with the abomination reveal in the climactic ending battle underwhelmed is a word that definitely comes to mind when I think about it because, I was expecting something really terrifying and got some annorhexic looking little girl [so not intimidating] however the ending was awesome! All and all I think Evil Dead was a good film and I do plan I owning it when it is available so it's definitely something I suggest you go out and watch if you haven't already. Until next time horror fans, you stay classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment