The Purge

STARRING: Ethan Hawke, Lena Heady, Max Burkholder, Rhys Wakefield
YEAR:2013
RUNTIME: 1hr, 25mins
MY RATING: 6/10

So, I had pretty decently high expectations for The Purge based off the premise alone. Once a year all crime is legal in America for 12 hours, it seemed like a fresh and new idea and when I first started reading about it I was totally stoked. James Sandin (Ethan Hawke) sells the security systems sold to the rich folk to protect their houses during the 12 hours of the Purge, the annual event begins and the Sadin's secure their house and go about their night but, when their naive and compassionate son disarms the system to let an injured stranger fleeing from a group of Purgees in their home for shelter. Shit rolls down hill for the family when the group in need of what
they refer to as "cleansing" by killing come looking  the homeless swine [his words not mine] they are holding up in their home and let them know that they'll leave them be if they just give them the man.    Unfortunately, the actual execution of the film did not live up to my expectations I went in with and the actual Purge idea just wasn't what I had envisioned it would be and that was obviously my mistake. The Purge is not a bad film by any means. The acting was well done, especially from Ethan Hawke and Rhys Wakefield his polite and psychotic disposition did give me the chills I have to admit but, I would've liked the film better had it not even involved the stranger and the group was just planning to remove the barricades and break into the Sandin's home and kill them. It would've been much creepier. I was not a fan of the whole underlying morality message because, I'm sorry but, if that were my family in risk of being murdered I wouldn't have been as compassionate as awful as that sounds. So the family just ended up frustrating me and I wanted to see them lose this battle haha. While not perfect as you may or may not have gathered from everything I just said, The Purge is entertaining and I will probably watch it again when it's out on dvd.

No comments:

Post a Comment