You're Next

STARRING: Sharni Vinson, Joe Swanberg, AJ Bowen
YEAR:2013
RUN TIME: 1hr,35mins
MY RATING: 8/10



You're Next tells the story of a family that meets up at their vacation home to celebrate their parent's anniversary. They're all sitting down for a nice dinner when things go awry and they come under attack by masked murderers. The movie starts as a 10 little Indians sort of scenario and the second half flips itself on it's head and becomes a revenge tale. I am a fan of these types of movies for one, you know you are guaranteed a gory second act because the bad guys always seem to get theirs in an over-the-top bloody manner. There are a few twists that I won't get into so I can keep this as spoiler free as possible. One, I saw coming just because the character came off super shady to me from jump but, the other caught me by surprise. Let's talk acting, Sharni Vinson did a good job in her role as Erin and stole the show. She was very believable and when she turned into a full blown survivalist badass halfway in I didn't question it because, it came off well. There wasn't really anyone that I felt did a bad job acting although, when the first attack happens the family's reactions were a bit unrealistic since they carried on with their conversation for a while before realizing there's a guy standing there with a damn arrow through the dome! This movie was paced well and while it didn't take long to kick into gear it also didn't feel rushed. It was laid out nicely and gave just enough depth into the characters without taking away from the main story to give us some drawn back story. I was fully engaged from start to finish and couldn't wait to see how this story unfolded. I watched You're Next twice and I wasn't any less happy with it upon second viewing and the experience was just as good for me both in theaters and at home. It's refreshing to have new ideas and storylines in horror since the past few years in the genre have been remake heavy. The death scenes were enjoyable they didn't feel unoriginal although they weren't groundbreaking new styles to kill someone off they were surprising and satisfying. I loved that all of the effects were seemingly practical and if there was any hint of CGI it was masked extremely well because, I couldn't spot it. Even though some of the deaths were far fetched (blender to the head anyone?) I didn't find myself calling bullshit.. I like the directing style this film had as well the angles Adam Wingard used especially the detailed visuals such as the shot of the bloody wire bouncing in the doorway, if you've seen the film you know what I'm referring to. Those types of shots really made the impact of what was happening much more intense. The script was decently written it had a little dry humor sprinkled throughout and it also did not feel forced. One thing I want to point out is the setting mainly, how the characters were not only inside the house but, running through what seemed like miles of woods allowing the viewer to sense just how secluded they were. As a fan of cheesy 80's slashers I have to say that the score really tickled my heart they pops and crackles in the beginning set a well thought out tense tone and the mysterious synth music was the cherry on top and gave it that throwback feel. Overall I really enjoyed this movie and while it may not be for everyone I do recommend watching it if you haven't already. You're Next is the perfect mix of cat and mouse and revenge story and it makes for some truly entertaining bloody fun. Until next time horror fans, You Stay Classy!




























Paul and Aubrey Davison invite their family to a gathering for their anniversary. During dinner things quickly go down hill for the family when they come under attack by masked murderers. You're Next starts as a cat and mouse style horror movie where the members of our main group are stalked, tormented and killed one by one and suddenly flips itself on it's head to become a revenge tale. I am a sucker for these types of movies I don't know if I get so caught up in rooting for the protagonists to give the bad guys what they deserve [yes, I chose not to use the word antagonist and went with bad guys on purpose] While watching I felt engaged from start to finish which isn't something most horror or any genre of movie for that matter can easily achieve. It's very reminiscent of an 80's slasher especially when the synth music starts up [nice touch by the way]. The kills were well done and didn't strike me as past movie kills being rehashed or borrowed. Of course my biggest praise goes to the lack of CGI! It is so hard to find movies now-a-days that don't over use computer generated gore which take jobs away from talented special FX artists! But, I digress. The acting is a bit off in the beginning of the film but, with good reason that I will keep to myself as not to spoil others. However, Sharni Vinson did a great job playing Erin in my opinion and I found her very believable. There are so many twists and unexpected character arcs that I found myself emotionally invested by the end of You're Next. Speaking of the title I do like the threatening blood art on the walls exclaiming YOU'RE NEXT! It was effective to me in the way that it was done and did not make the movie predictable because, as the viewer you have no clue who it was directed towards. Maybe, I am in the minority but, I really enjoyed You're Next. I thought it was well done throughout and it didn't feel like a movie that was thrown together to make a quick buck with cheap jump scares. Although if a movie has been on the back burner for 2 years waiting for release you know up front it's a half ass, quick printed cash cow. I say if you haven't gotten around to watching You're Next yet take a gander and if you have take a second gander maybe, you will see something you missed upon first viewing. Until next time, You Stay Classy!


CLICK HERE FOR YOU'RE NEXT'S IMDB PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment